Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I've Been Asking the Wrong Questions

For a while I've been asking myself: How can I best serve God? Where do I fit into God's plan?

Those are the things you ask yourself when you are a capable Christian woman, searching for your place in the world. My mind runs crazy with the questions. Am I meeting my calling? Am I doing my best with the gifts God has given me?

For example, I am a very amateur singer. I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't singing as a part of a group. That is generally the first place I plug in at a church. However, after our family's recent relocation and my husband's return to a more active work schedule, I have not pursued joining a group. Also, although I have a pleasant voice there's nothing truly remarkable about it. So I'm left wondering, am I letting a gift that God has given me go to waste? Should I be working at developing my gift or is music simply something I enjoy, not really my capital-G Gift?

I have millions of those questions! I can cook a little and have a new-found interest in traditional foods and nourishing my body. Should I be feeding the sick? My heart breaks for orphans and misplaced children. Should we become foster/adoptive parents? Am I meant to start a new ministry at church? Am I supposed to simply come along the side of someone that I can mentor? Is God telling me to wait for my children to grow until I pursue my passion? Is homemaking/child-raising my calling? When will God show me his will? What is my purpose? What is my gift? I. I. I. Me. Me. Me. My. My. My.

Then I had a realization while washing the dishes.

Shut up self!

Dear God, What can I do for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment